Silent Wisdom

Silent Wisdom
Photo by Kim Schulz

Friday, March 13, 2015

CHRISTMAS IN THE HOSPITAL

As I lie still by myself with tubes and wires extending from my hands and arms in the darkness of what is, I couldn’t help but compare myself to my father.  Is this how he felt when he was laying by himself in a hospital bed, miles away from his family on Christmas day?

I’m only two months short of his age when he passed away on December 27, in 1996.  I thought I was healthier than he was at this age.  I can only imagine the sadness felt by my mother and my siblings as history repeats. 

“Dad, help me through this.  This can’t happen again.  Not now.  Not like this.”

“Jesus, comfort me on this Holy night, as you have so many times before.  Wrap me in your love till I glow like a Christmas tree.  It would be so much easier to surrender to you here and now, but please give me the courage and the strength to live.”

There was no warmth of a Christmas tree, or the festive colors of gold, white, yellow, green and red in the darkness of the cut and grab critical care room.  But, the night felt just as holy as the Christmas nights passed within my own home of love. 

I felt better knowing that my dad most likely felt the same way on that Christmas holiday in 1996.  He wasn’t any more alone than I was at this moment in time.  My dad is with me this Christmas night, along with the spirits of love that crossed before me. 

Apparently, my Christmas wish was gifted that night.  I’m still here and doing much better than I was.  It wasn’t only my wish that was granted, but also the prayers of those who shinned their love on me that holiday season. 

In case you didn’t read it on a Facebook post, or I didn’t get a chance to tell you personally - thank you.  I love you all; each and every one of you.  I don’t even have to know you; I love you, because in the end, love is all that matters.

It’s kind of like when someone you know dies.  All the bad things you may have felt about that person just dissolve and disappear in the atmosphere somewhere.  We become forgiving and the only thing left is the good that we remember.  Our love is what shines on in this world; and it’s the only thing we can take with us to the next.

Love on while you can ~ Peace out!
 
My Dad


1 comment:

  1. To learn to forgive before a tragedy is perhaps the greatest gift of all. Thanks for sharing such a beautiful and personal story. You are loved beyond measure.

    ReplyDelete