Silent Wisdom

Silent Wisdom
Photo by Kim Schulz

Thursday, September 4, 2014

PREPARING FOR DEATH


Death, it’s a part of life, yet no one really ever seems to gets use to it.  A priest once said that we prepare for death throughout our lives.  And when you think about it, it makes sense.  Life is growing, maturing, evolving; it’s all about changing.  I am not the same person at age eight-teen, as I am now at fifty-one years old.  My thoughts and actions were reckless in my younger years.  At age thirty-five I began to seek knowledge by reading books regarding dreams, nature and spirituality.  The more I learn, the less I fear death. 

Experience has taught me well too.  Even friendships slowly decay. 

I recently took a trip back to my hometown to meet up with a group of friends from high school.  I had a really good time, and loved listening to stories of how many kids and grandbabies everyone had; where they worked after high school, and their current career choices.  But the one question that kept popping up in my mind was why did we stop hanging out with each other?  How did we lose contact?

Death is a natural occurrence that takes place everyday on so many different levels, but we do not always recognize it.  Changing jobs, or divorcing a spouse, or sending your kids to college is death and rebirth.  You start a new career or you find a new lover and you keep on keeping on. You don’t stop existing.  Death and birth go hand in hand.  And this is one reason why I feel I do not fear death.  Because when I die, it will be the beginning of a new adventure.  It will be the birth of a new and different experience. 

 
 
For those of you who are dealing with death, or doubt the concept of life after death, I highly recommend this book.  It was written by a doctor (a Neurosurgeon), who defied all odds and recovered from a disease that literally ate his brain.  He tells of his near death experience (NDE) while he laid in a coma for a week.
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment