Silent Wisdom

Silent Wisdom
Photo by Kim Schulz

Wednesday, June 29, 2016

THE BENEFITS OF EATING MEXICAN FOOD

I am often bothered by this talk of putting up fences along the Mexican boarder. Some of us fight so hard to keep the Mexican people out of our country, yet we enjoy the food, and the festivities that our neighbors to the South bring to the table
 
Whenever I find myself not feeling well, especially after a visit in the hospital, I go directly to Taco Rock to get my energy back on.  For me, spicy Mexican food has always felt good to my body.  I crave it when I’m feeling under the weather.   A lot of my friends think I’m crazy.

“Damn girl, they just cut you open and operated on your intestines!  How can you eat  that? Man, you’re gonna mess yourself up!”

But apparently I’m not the only one who seeks out good Mexican food when they’re sick.  The Taco Rock management told me that someone else had recently visited their establishment bragging about the healing qualities of Mexican food.

So I did a little digging and found out that spicy foods are among the best for your health.  Peppers contain capsaicinoids which gives peppers their heat.  Most capsaicin properties are found in the inner white membrane of the pepper.

There is evidence that capsaicin suppresses the growth of prostate cancer cells while leaving normal cells unharmed, and it lowers blood pressure by activating the release of nitric oxide.

In addition, capsaicin can assist in weight loss, lowers your cancer rate, is good for your heart, can improve your sex life, and relieves pain, by working as an anti-inflammatory. 

Jalapeno peppers can provide relief from migraine headaches, relieve congestion, and they contain high amounts of vitamins A and C.  They are accredited to strengthening blood vessels by making them more elastic and better able to adjust to changes in blood pressure.

It is believed that Cayenne pepper is the most valuable herb of all.  Not only does it increase the effectiveness of other herbs when used, but it also good for the entire digestive system. 

It has been said that one teaspoon of cayenne pepper in cup of hot water can stop a heart attack in three minutes.  It is further suggested to give a teaspoon of extract every fifteen minutes in a glass of hot water, if a heart attack should occur.

There is even a story circulating of how a man found dead in his car of an apparent heart attack, was given a cayenne tincture into the mouth, and within a few minutes the man’s heart began to beat again. 

It is suggested that a regimen of cayenne and hawthorn berries will strengthen the heart and possibly prevent a heart attack.

Cilantro is another common ingredient found in Mexican food, and it too has amazing healing capabilities.  It is a strong anti-oxidant that can prevent cardiovascular damage.  It also assists in sleep quality, and has been shown to have anti-anxiety effects.

Cilantro is linked to lowering blood sugar as well.  The School of Life Science in India noted that cilantro leaves and stems, “If used in cuisine would be a remedy for diabetes.”

Cilantro is well known for cleansing the body of toxic metals.  It binds to the metals and loosens them from the tissue.  People with mercury poisoning have reported a reduction in symptoms when taking cilantro regularly. 

Cilantro is said to help those with Alzheimer’s disease by limiting the neuronal damage in the brain.

The herb is also a natural diuretic and great for those suffering from kidney stones.

And not only should you include the leaves and stems in you diet, but the seeds (referred to as coriander seeds) also contribute to the health benefits of cilantro.   The seeds are known to lower blood sugar; and they lower LDL (bad cholesterol) and increases HDL (good cholesterol) at the same time.

My body told me that Mexican food was healthy for me, before I even did the research.  Of course, afterwards I was ecstatic by what I had discovered.  I plan to include cilantro among my favorite teas, and carry a small bottle of cayenne tincture in my medicine bag for now on.

Much love to my sisters and brothers south of the boarder!  Life would be a lot less enjoyable without you – for sure!  And thank you for the many blessings you bring.


5454 Pensacola Blvd, Pensacola, Florida 32505
850-436-2030
www.yelp.com/biz/taco-rock-pensacola

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment