Silent Wisdom

Silent Wisdom
Photo by Kim Schulz

Monday, February 27, 2017

Connect

Mother Teresa use to tell the sisters to greet everyone they come in contact with throughout the day with a smile.  And they lived it.  One day I was riding down the road when it occurred to me that I loved sharing that bit of information, but I didn’t smile at everyone I met.  Are you kidding?  That meant I would have to make eye contact with a stranger, who could be dangerous or something (LOL), and then I would have to smile like I meant it. 

I can laugh out loud about it now, because I’ve been doing it for the past seven years, and I can honestly say that there is nothing to fear.  It’s pretty special when someone smiles big and waves back at you.  I feel my heart swell and my smile widens more as I connect with another.  It just goes to show how beautiful and magical life is when you step out of your comfort zone.    

But if you never try it, you’ll never know the majesty of unleashing your heart upon the world.  If you really want to feel powerful then release a hug here and there. Hugs shouldn’t be limited to family and friends only.  The lonely need hugs more than anyone.

Research has shown that touch is fundamental for human communication, bonding, and health.  Most western cultures, including the U.S., are considered to be touch deprived. 

According to an article in the Greater Good, Dacher Keltner reported that people in France touched each other up to 110 times per hour, while friends in Puerto Rico touched up to 180 times.  Here in the U.S. that number was 2 times, and only during a “burst of enthusiasm.”  But not all is lost to the U.S., in England the number was reduced to zero times.

In addition, a French psychologist discovered that when teachers give a pat on the back to their students, the student becomes three times more likely to speak up in class.

We all need each other.  We have this ability to lift each other high, and make the world a better place and there is nothing hard about it.  It simply begins with a smile followed by a wave of the hand. 

 
 
 
USE KIND WORDS -
“Pretty words are not always true, and true words are not always pretty.”
“Characterize people by their actions and you’ll never be fooled by their words.
“Words can inspire or words can
destroy -  choose your words wisely.”

 
 
 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment