Silent Wisdom

Silent Wisdom
Photo by Kim Schulz

Friday, December 30, 2016

Change


I have been through some serious changes the past two years, so when confronted with the New Year, I find it hard to get excited about more changes.  This past year alone, I have been accosted with changes in my health for the good and the bad.  Friends come and go, and some even changing faces. 

I quit smoking many times, but this year I believe I’ll stick with it, because I have finally been convinced that smoking cigarettes are bad for your health.  No doubt about it in my mind.  I have been forced to come to the realization that I am no longer Superman.  I finally understand that growing old sucks, because I have had to face my own mortality.  A major lifestyle change for sure.

After dealing with 3 surgeries in the past two years, I’ve had to make massive changes in my diet; this year those adjustments continued in some concerning ways.  I can no longer eat cheese like I use to, I had to learn to drink warm tea in the morning and evening, instead of ice water and wine.  I avoid red meat like the plague, but I love hamburgers (excuse me while I droll at the thought). I hardly even drink alcohol anymore, especially beer (my preferred alcoholic beverage).  And I no longer allow myself the luxury of fast food anymore, which provides limited choices; I really don’t know how vegetarians do it.

As a result of the surgeries I find myself a changed person, but those around me do not understand, and most do not care to.  My favorite friend, the one person who would understand, left for the far North. 

But that’s ok, because I learned that I’m never by myself regardless (another one of those lessons learned from a hospital bed). It may get a little lonely at times, but I would not change the changes if confronted with second chances.  There is wisdom in pain, and magic in wisdom.  I like this place I find myself. 

Of course change is constant.  Tomorrow is today and yesterday was tomorrow.   So instead of listing changes I want to make in the New Year, I think I’ll just look forward to a new future with eyes wide and enjoy the ride.  There’s gold in them there changes!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment